Thursday 20 September 2012

The Artful Dodger

I’m just your average Joe and I’m not without my woes,
my family was all I cared about.
I worked to have enough to buy them food and clothes and stuff.
Not much, but they never went without.

Though I toiled and strained, I had no cause to complain
For I had a friend in dear old Lady Luck.
Her support and comfort came in the form of horses’ names
and the numbers for the weekend Lotto Plus.

Oh Mahon, can’t you see that they all ganged up on me?
I never took a penny, I’m a saint.
I had a lot of friends and they used me to their ends
and now I find I can’t recall their names.

Sure why wouldn’t they all clammer to hear my speeches and my stammer?
To listen to an eminent cute hoor?
With my Harp-belly displayed over my pants beneath the weight,
I cut a dashing figure, that’s for sure.

How I miss the days of old, money bags and envelopes,
playing Fagin to my gang of boys so true.
They understood my needs and signed-up to my creed:
You’ve got to pick a p-pocket or two.

Micheál, it’s with revulsion that I hear of the expulsion,
you’re only where you are because of me.
Our make-up costs the same and you’re not exempt from blame.
Sure weren’t we all together at the party?

(Explanation: No, there just is no logical explanation for Bertie Ahern!)